I know. An AG doll for 10 year-old DD's best friend is a HUMONGOUS purchase, but after a LOT of thought, I took the plunge and ordered one. This friend moved 4 hours away two years ago. Her grandparents live one street over from us. She spends many holidays, and three or four 1-week stays in the summer. She's wanted an AG doll for as long as I can remember. When she comes to visit, she and DD play for hours, days, etc. They're inseparable. I was only too happy to do it. (Her parents are divorced, and her mom has another child, can't afford an AG doll for her.)

Anyway, her 11th birthday is in July, and she'll be here for a week visit in early June. DD is bouncing off the wall w/excitement about giving her the doll and doesn't want to wait for a later date this summer. I told her since her friend will visit again this summer, we should wait and see if she'll be here for her birthday, or even August (she's here the first week in August as well) after her birthday. I'm torn w/guilt cause DD looks at me in desperation and begs, "Noooo. If I give it to her early we'll have more time to play with our dolls?' What would you do?
If her friend lived locally (as she used to,) I'd stand firm and have her wait. Under the circumstances, since she lives four hours away, and we're never sure of WHEN she'll be here in the summer, I'm tempted to give in and let DD giver her present early. (It's an AGOT blond hair, green eyes.) She arrived yesterday, and DD's beside herself.

Thanks!